Apache2 neds to ne reset

I have an installation of Apache2 that is misconfigured & no longer
works. Over the last couple of years Apache has become bloated & hard to
manage so I tried using webmin to work out the kinks. My lack of
experience has caused me to totally screw up my web server so I want to
enlist some assistance. I want to know first of all if there is a way,
Command line perhaps, to have apt completely reinstall all of Apache2
with the dist basic files so that it works upon startup, then I can try
to reconfigure it manually. This would require removing all the old
config files during the installation. I have tried using synaptic to
reinstall it and it uses the old configs files, plus I don't know where
all of them are hiding to delete them.
Once before I had a similar issue, and to get rid of Apache to reinstall
it I had to manually delete every reference to Apache, then it worked,
however I also had to rebuild most of my entire Debian installation as
Apache is very integrated into the requirements for many applications.
Any suggestions please.
Thanks!
john