Re: using `myscript.sh` to change current env

On Sat, Sep 07, 2013 at 04:35:09PM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> I want to have a script, to change between a few prompts per the arg
> supplied. This is so I can quickly change from my glorious
> bells-and-whistles prompt to a plain prompt (eg for cut and paste to
> debian-user, just "$ " or "# " depending on current user) to a
> timestamped prompt (when I have some long-running process, and I want
> to see when it finished) etc.

Not a direct solution to your problem, but zsh has a "prompt" command
which will allow you to install a new prompt theme with a single
command.

For day-to-day work zsh is comparable to bash (the learning curve is
much smaller than between e.g. bash and tcsh), but there's a lot of
extra power available built-in.