Re: Headers for Debian 3.0.4 on ARM

On 9/5/13, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> On 9/5/2013 5:36 AM, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
>> On 9/5/13, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

>>> I have Debian 3.0.4 (via uname -r) on an ARM processor (after
>>> update/upgrade) and am trying to get the kernel headers to compile a
>>> module for it.

>>> aptitude shows the only headers available are for versions 2.6 and
>>> 3.2.0.4.
>>>
>>> My sources.list contains:
>>> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>>> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>>
>> I recommend you use "wheezy" instead of "stable" in your sources.list
>> That way you will never be surprised by an automatic update from, eg
>> Wheezy to Jessie, just at the wrong time, when you really don't need
>> it.
>>
>> Codenames are the recommended option for sources.list. Especially if
>> you are somewhat new to GNU.
>
> I think that is a matter of personal opinion.  I use stable on other
> systems because I WANT to keep the systems updated - as I do here.  Can
> you show me why changing this will solve this problem?

It won't. It was unrelated.

>>> Two questions:
>>> 1. Why would the kernel be at 3.0.4 when the headers are at 3.2.0.4?
>>
>> I don't know sorry. When did you install Debian?
>> How did you install Debian (eg CD/DVD/network-install/...??)
>
> I did not.  It came installed on the ARM device.

Perhaps contact the supplier and ask them to make available their
installation repository. You might need to go so far as to then ask
them for access to the source for their code on their device.

That should get you access to the specific headers which ought to
match the Linux kernel installed.

>>> 2. Where can I find the appropriate headers for version 3.0.4?
>>
>> Dunno, should be in the same archive (sources.list location) where you
>> got your kernel from...
>
> Please see above.

Please see above.

>>> Alternatively, how can I update Debian to 3.2.0.4?
>>
>> Which software do you normally use to install new programs? I use
>> apt-get, but there are various other options.
>
> I've tried both apt-get and aptitude.  There is nothing to update.

You would of course need a repository with up to date packages. You
will then need to see if there is a more recent kernel. Are you
familiar with package searching, to find packages?

You see, kernels are not necessarily automatically upgraded. Which
linux kernel packages do you have installed? The more generic/less
specific, the greater the chance of automatically getting a newer
kernel installed. But that also depends on if a newer kernel package
is available. See above about package searching. If you need more help
on package searching and/or installing, just ask. Sounds sort of like
you don't, but sort of like you might, so I'm not sure. For example,
you could try something like:
apt-cache search linux-image-
and see what you get, then apt-cache show for some of the results. I
don't use arm computer so I can't check easily sorry.

If a more recent kernel is not available for you to 'manually' install
with say apt-get, then you will need to either find a repository with
one, or compile your own more up to date kernel. I've done it many
times in the past; you'd probaly want to set aside a few hours to go
through the Linux config-menu config options.

Good luck
Zenaan