Re: Headers for Debian 3.0.4 on ARM

On 9/5/13, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:
> I'm still pretty new to Debian, so this may be a *very* stupid question,
> but here goes.
>
> I have Debian 3.0.4 (via uname -r) on an ARM processor (after
> update/upgrade) and am trying to get the kernel headers to compile a
> module for it.

uname -r has very short output, you should post that output.
Better still, you should use uname -a and post the output of that ...
one line is not much, and you should not balk at the effort to cut and
paste such a small amount of output.

Now, Debian 3 was years ago. So, we would assume you are talking about
the Linux kernel?

> aptitude shows the only headers available are for versions 2.6 and 3.2.0.4.
>
> My sources.list contains:
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free

I recommend you use "wheezy" instead of "stable" in your sources.list
That way you will never be surprised by an automatic update from, eg
Wheezy to Jessie, just at the wrong time, when you really don't need
it.

Codenames are the recommended option for sources.list. Especially if
you are somewhat new to GNU.

> Two questions:
> 1. Why would the kernel be at 3.0.4 when the headers are at 3.2.0.4?

I don't know sorry. When did you install Debian?
How did you install Debian (eg CD/DVD/network-install/...??)

> 2. Where can I find the appropriate headers for version 3.0.4?

Dunno, should be in the same archive (sources.list location) where you
got your kernel from...

> Alternatively, how can I update Debian to 3.2.0.4?

Which software do you normally use to install new programs? I use
apt-get, but there are various other options.

Good luck
Zenaan