Re: Strange libs

On 2013-08-31 21:15 +0200, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> since 3 weeks I got two new directories, which is looking strange for me.
> These are /lib64 and /libx32. The second one was created by package
> "libc6-x32", but I cannot see the necessary of this libs.
>
> Can someone enlighten me, when and why this was installed? Must have been
> during an upgrade. Should I install it again? (I deinstalled the package).

If you don't need gcc-multilib, you have no need for libc6-x32 either,
especially since you can't even run x32 binaries on stock Debian
kernels[1].

> The other one (/lib64) looks unnecessary for me, too, as there is already
> /usr/lib64 available. Ok, FHS might be the reason for it. Am I maybe correct?

/lib64/ld-linux-x86-64.so.2 is the path to the ELF interpreter for
x86_64 (aka amd64) binaries, so you need to have a /lib64 directory if
you intend to run 64-bit programs.

Cheers,
       Sven

1. http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=708070