Re: tty1-6, gdm3, xdm, gnome, Gigabyte mb - many problems

On 8/30/13, Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> Problem: On initial bootup there is a message that gdm3 is not fully
> installed, probably a hardware problem. (The Gigabyte mb has onboard
> video AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics)
>
> Problem: Despite bootup message classic gnome display appears and works
> but switching to terminals fails (Ctl-Alt-F1 results in the screen going
> blank, then No Signal)

Inside GNOME, can you open a terminal and if so, what do you get with:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
dpkg --status xserver-xorg-video-radeon | grep Status

There is probably Synaptic or something that can do similar things; I
haven't used it for some years.