tty1-6, gdm3, xdm, gnome, Gigabyte mb - many problems

Netinst Wheezy with linux-image-3.2.0-4-amd64

Problem: On initial bootup there is a message that gdm3 is not fully
installed, probably a hardware problem. (The Gigabyte mb has onboard
video AMD Radeon HD 6310 graphics)

Problem: Despite bootup message classic gnome display appears and works
but switching to terminals fails (Ctl-Alt-F1 results in the screen going
blank, then No Signal)

Problem: Returning to desktop (Ctl-Alt-F7 works but with a split screen
wrapped around the center.)

Problem: If /etc/X11/default-display-manager is edited to set
/usr/sbin/xdm and the system is rebooted, terminals tty1-6 are available
by Ctl-Alt-F1, etc but there is no xwindow (F7).

Problem: /etc/init.d/xdm restart respond xdm is not the display manager
although default-display-manager is still /usr/sbin/xdm.

Problem: xstart starts gdm3 and gnome.  The tty terminals fail and we're
back to square one.

Comment:  gdm3 and classic gnome work ok on my other Wheezy computer but
not that great.  I would be quite content with xdm and icewm if I could
have both the desktop and the tty terminals.

Note: I have tried many variations.  The above list of problems is a
short list.  I have tried to capture the essence of the difficulties.

Tom