Re: A notification tray?

Sharon Kimble:
> Cinnamon and Gnome 3 both have a tray that holds all notification
> messages until their read and deleted. These messages are ones like
> saying that your backup has just started, or you’ve got 3 new emails,
> nice simple easily forgotten ones. But, what is this 'tray'? Can it be
> used in fluxbox, or other lighter DE's?

I don't know about fluxbox, but most window managers reserve space for
the tray in some kind of panel or status bar. Your real question
probably is which application puts the information you need into the
tray. One example:

$ apt-cache search tray icon mail
checkgmail - alternative Gmail Notifier for Linux via Atom feeds
claws-mail-trayicon - Notification area plugin for Claws Mail
xul-ext-firetray - system tray extension for Thunderbird/Firefox alike apps
zim - graphical text editor based on wiki technologies

If your window manager lacks a tray area you can try the package
"trayer".

J.
--
Tony Blair is a hypnotised self-seeking scarecrow just like all the
rest.