Re: A notification tray?

On Thu, 29 Aug 2013 18:21:29 +0200
Jochen Spieker <ml@well-adjusted.de> wrote:

> Sharon Kimble:
> > Cinnamon and Gnome 3 both have a tray that holds all notification
> > messages until their read and deleted. These messages are ones like
> > saying that your backup has just started, or you’ve got 3 new
> > emails, nice simple easily forgotten ones. But, what is this
> > 'tray'? Can it be used in fluxbox, or other lighter DE's?
>
> I don't know about fluxbox, but most window managers reserve space for
> the tray in some kind of panel or status bar. Your real question
> probably is which application puts the information you need into the
> tray. One example:
>
> $ apt-cache search tray icon mail
> checkgmail - alternative Gmail Notifier for Linux via Atom feeds
> claws-mail-trayicon - Notification area plugin for Claws Mail
> xul-ext-firetray - system tray extension for Thunderbird/Firefox
> alike apps zim - graphical text editor based on wiki technologies

The notification tray is completely separate from the system tray,
and is I think, a separate package, and that’s what I'm looking for, or
something similar.

> If your window manager lacks a tray area you can try the package
> "trayer".

There already is a system tray in fluxbox, and even though I use tint2
as my panel, it still has a system tray in it. I did try running
'trayer' but it failed because there was a system tray already
running. 'trayer			another systray already running'

Thanks
Sharon.
Debian testing, Fluxbox 1.3.5, LibreOffice 4.1.0.4
Registered Linux user 334501