Re: Typing in bar characters (accented characters?)

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 13:27 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 12:09 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 August 2013 22:37:25 Bob Proulx wrote:
> > > All worked perfectly as described.  Accented characters are easily
> > > input.  But then the follow-up came back that they wanted to input the
> > > bar characters āēīōū.  And I don't see how to input bar characters
> > > with the above.
> > >
> > > Because now I know that specifically they want to input the barred
> > > characters āēīōū what would be possible methods to type those in that
> > > I should recommend to them?
> >
> > I cannot even display these characters in oyur email!  I get empty boxes.
> > This thread would appear to apply only to US keyboards and locales.
> >
> > You obviously learn Latin differently over there too.  I have a degree in
> > Latin, and have taught Latin, and have never had to use these characters!
>
> They're displayed here, $ echo $LANG en_US.UTF-8, German keyboard.
>
> And as already mentioned before, I learned Latin and never heard of
> those letters for the Latin language before too. I never was good in
> Latin, but I'm from a hardcore "Gymnasium" -> [an academic high school,
> Br. grammar school, in German-speaking countries], we learned ancient
> Greek and Latin as part of our native language German, not only idiots
> like me who had Latin as a school subject. AFAIK the "Gymnasium" I
> visited (and failed ;), was and perhaps still is the most hardest
> "Gymnasium" in Germany. If the bars were common for Latin, I would be
> aware of this, even while I failed when learning at this hardcore
> school.

PS: If you want to roll on the floor and laugh, the academic years were
called "Sexta, Quinta, Quarta, Untertertia, Obertertia, Untersekunda,
Obersekunda, Unterprima, Oberprima" this is not only über-pretentious,
but completely ridiculous. And until today this bullshit isn't forbidden
in Germany, but does cause a good reputation for those who visited such
ridiculous schools.