Re: oh no something is definitly wrong adieu debian.

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:05:34 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> On Tue, 2013-08-27 at 11:56 +0300, Mihamina Rakotomandimby wrote:
>>
>> http://news.slashdot.org/story/13/05/08/2038243/ubuntu-developing-its-own-package-format-installer
>
> Wow, thank you for the link. Than Ubuntu in the future will cause much
> more issues, when you talk to upstream, than they already do by their
> disgusting policy to split packages nowadays.

You should read the Colin Watson post (linked to on Slashdot) rather than simply going by the sensationalist headline and paragraph.

The last line of the Slashdot post even points out that Ubuntu doesn't intend this package installer to replace dpkg and apt.

If you read the ubuntu-devel post you'll see "the priority for this system at present is for Ubuntu phone/tablet app packages."

Imagine that I have Ubuntu on my phone and that you have a music application that you want to install. Do you really think that I'd want you to sprinkle files all over my filesystem or would I want you to install to "/apps/ralph/music-app/{bin,lib,...}"?

Ubuntu splits packages because Debian does. And Debian splits packages for various reasons.

In the case of nfs, Debian splits upstream's nfs-utils into nfs-common and nfs-kernel-server. The reason for this is that Debian's policy is to start a daemon automatically if it's installed. So you install nfs-common is you just want an nfs client and you install both if you want an nfs server. On RHEL/Fedora, you install nfs-utils and if you want to use the nfs server you run chkconfig and service or systemctl to enable and start it.

In the case of grub, Debian splits uptream's grub into many packages.

On my EFI laptop:

# dpkg-query -W -f '${Status}\t${Package}\n' grub* | grep ^install
install ok installed    grub-common
install ok installed    grub-efi
install ok installed    grub-efi-amd64
install ok installed    grub-efi-amd64-bin
install ok installed    grub2-common

Had I had a BIOS laptop, I would've had grub-pc rather than three grub-efi packages.

grub-common is a dependency of both grub1 and grub2 (bizarrely in the case of grub1 since it seems to install grub2 files).

grub2-common is a dependency of grub-efi-amd4, grub-efi-ia32, and grub-pc.

grub-efi is a dummy package.

I'm not sure why grub-efi-amd64 and grub-efi-amd64-bin are separate packages, probably because grub-efi-amd64-bin installs grub modules only.

When you choose a distro, you implicitly accept its policies...