Re: Problems with nVidia proprietary driver

On 2013-08-26, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the postings fairly recently on this list, then Googled and found:
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#configure
>
> I decided to follow that.  I also followed the trouble-shooting recommended.
>
> I have checked and as a result of what I did, the following package is
> definitely installed.  (It is recommended.)
> http://packages.debian.org/wheezy/nvidia-kernel-common

So you installed the kernel headers for the running kernel,
the nvidia-kernel-dkms package, the nvidia-glx package, ran
'update-initramfs -u' to update the ramdisk to include the blacklisted
nouveau module, created an xorg.conf file with the appropriate content, and
rebooted the machine?

> At present I have been offered a CLI login and have logged in as root.
>
> I was able to:
>
> cat /var/log//Xorg.0.log
>
> but I could not pipe to less (or more!) because I couldn't find the pipe.
> Googling seemed to suggest that the American pipe was on a key in a position
> that does not exist on my keyboards, which wasn't very helpful.

You don't need cat:

less /var/log/Xorg.0.log