Re: Wireless works, wired doesn't [Debian 6.0.7]

On 8/27/13, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Mon 26 Aug 2013 at 16:45:59 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:
>> I'm running the Gnome desktop environment, which uses the
>> NetworkManager to manage the network interfaces.
>
> 1. Disable NM with
>
>       update-rc.d network-manager disable
>
>    You can enable it later by replacing "disable" with "enable". Note,
>    you will temporarily lose any capability for wireless connectivity,
>
> 2. In /etc/network/interfaces have only the loopback interface (lo) plus
>
>       allow-hotplug eth0
>       iface eth0 inet dhcp
>
> 3. Now do
>
>       ifdown -v eth0
>
>    followed by (noting any screen output)
>
>       ifup -v eth0

Alternatively to ifup, at this point can use eg
  dhclient -d eth0

quicker and no faffing with ifup/down for repeat test, and -d puts it
in foreground so you can CTRL-C to stop it;
if needed to finish testing:
  ifconfig eth0 down

or
  ip link set dev eth0 down