Re: Wireless works, wired doesn't [Debian 6.0.7]

On Mon 26 Aug 2013 at 16:45:59 +0300, Alexander Kapshuk wrote:

> I'm running the Gnome desktop environment, which uses the
> NetworkManager to manage the network interfaces.

1. Disable NM with

      update-rc.d network-manager disable

   You can enable it later by replacing "disable" with "enable". Note,
   you will temporarily lose any capability for wireless connectivity,

2. In /etc/network/interfaces have only the loopback interface (lo) plus

      allow-hotplug eth0
      iface eth0 inet dhcp

3. Now do

      ifdown -v eth0

   followed by (noting any screen output)

      ifup -v eth0

   Or reboot. Or both.

This should give you a reasonable idea whether the machine communicates
with the router.