Re: file/directory name usage under /

On 2013-08-24 23:20:39 -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > Bob Proulx wrote:
> > >
> > > That question is ambiguous.  Do you mean that someone who can write to
> > > /foo can use that to become root?
> >
> > Yes. Say, during an upgrade of the system or package installation,
> > some given file /foo/bar gets executed under root (thanks to ldd).
>
> Please say more?  I know of no way that having write to /foo will give
> priviledge escalation.

The directory in question is "/libx32". If a user has write access
to it, he can create a "/libx32/ld-linux-x32.so.2" executable that
will be executed as root when update-initramfs is run:

Actually it appears that all /lib* are optionally part of the FHS
(the Wikipedia article didn't mention them). One can still wonder
whether there is a risk that such a directory like /libx32 (which
doesn't even correspond to a compatible architecture: yields
crashes) might be used locally in some special way, with additional
permissions.

BTW, Debian doesn't even comply to the FHS concerning such
directories: