Re: file/directory name usage under /

Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> Consider some arbitrary name under /, say "/foo", which doesn't exist
> on your system and which is non-standard (not part of the FHS). It may
> belong to some Debian packages, but you don't intend to ever install
> such packages.

Okay.

> The question is: is such a name free for any use? e.g. create a
> directory and use it as a mount point for NFS.

Yes.  You are the local admin.  You can set that up if you like.  No
problem.  It is only a problem if there is a collision of name with
something that you would install.  Because we know what is in the
package archive.  But the maintainers creating the packages have no
idea what is on your machine.  So the maintainers are required to
stick to the FHS.  You knowing the FHS can avoid the conflicts there
and pick something unique and do something locally.

> Is it OK that anyone who has a write access in this directory can
> become root on the machine?

That question is ambiguous.  Do you mean that someone who can write to
/foo can use that to become root?  They should not be able to become
root just because they can write to /foo.  That would be no different
than being able to write to /tmp.

Or do you mean that everyone on your machine that will have the
ability to write to /foo is also a superuser root admin on your
machine so there isn't any privilege escalation.  Doesn't matter
really.  Everyone can write /tmp for example.  Although the sticky
bit, the 't' bit', does impose a security strategy upon /tmp.

Bob