scanner claimed by usbfs

I was briefly able to use my scanner, but while the scanner application
(Skanlite) was running it became inaccessible.  About that time the logs
show
Aug 24 11:46:03 tempserver kernel: [6950936.545558] usb 3-1.2: usbfs:
interface 0 claimed by usbfs while 'skanlite' sets config #1

Neither xsane nor subsequent launches of skanlite have been able to
detect the scanner.

I opened a bug
(http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=720721), but I'm
hoping someone here has some ideas.  It looks as if the problem is not
with skanlite or xsane, but something lower level.

I have some disks connected via usb.

Thanks.
Ross Boylan