Re: No sound on Debian SID ufter upgrade

On Sat, Aug 24, 2013 at 06:32:34PM +0100, Sharon Kimble wrote:
> On Sat, 24 Aug 2013 17:36:35 +0200
> Csanyi Pal <csanyipal@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm running Debian GNU/Linux unstable (sid) and sofar I have alsa
> > installed and the sound worked.
> >
> > Since couple of days after an upgrade of the system with
> > 'sudo aptitude update'
> > 'sudo aptitude safe-upgrade'
> >
> > today sound doesn't work anymore.
> >
> > What could be the problem, and how can I solve it?
> >

> Daft as it sounds, have you tried rebooting? When this testing box
> drops its sound that?s the most reliable way of getting sound back I?ve
> found.

I discovered today on my Wheezy box that killing the system PulseAudio and
running it as my user account fixes all the many sound problems I have had.

Turns out the PulseAudio developers don't recommend running it in system
mode:
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/User/WhatIsWrongWithSystemWide/
--
Carl Fink                           nitpicking@nitpicking.com