Re: openvpn question

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > The device will still have an ethernet address whether you assigned
> > one to it or not.  It is not necessary for you to assign one since one
> > has already been assigned by default.  (From the vendor.  Or in the
> > case of virtual hardware from the software that created the
> > simulation.)
>
> Uhhm, no.

Uhm... Yes.

> # ifconfig tun0
> tun0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr
> 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00

Silly bear!  That is the tun device.  Never tunnel the tun device.

> The above is from the VPS, with the openvpn connection from the laptop
> running. This is a tun device, which doesn't require a MAC address at
> all to function as I understand it.

Right.  Which does not have anything to do with the way proxy arp is
set up.

> I thought this over again with my brain fresher in the afternoon than
> it was last night, and you are right, it would work in this situation
> as long as the tun device had a MAC address of course.

Do not attempt to proxy arp the tunnel device.  That way leads to madness.

I am going to stop here.  You are good to go.  I am so very short of
time right now that I don't have more time to play.  Sorry.  You have
found a perfectly fine way to proceed.  I am sorry I ever mentioned
any alternative methods.

Bob