OT: Web Audio Player Recommendations?

I have a need to set up an audio player on a web page.  To play mp2
(from twolame) and wav files.  It isn't that there isn't much written
about this topic.  The problem is that there is so very much written
about it that it is hard to sort through all of the possibilities.
Frankly I am overwhelmed and could use direction.

I have a directory into which will continuously be poured short (five
minutes) wav and mp2 files.  I can generate the list dynamically from
a directory listing.  Would like to be able to bring up a web page
that would display the directory and have a button to click and play
the audio clip from there.

Does anyone with experience in doing this have any hints as to the
best way to do this using free(dom) software on a Debian Stable
system?  I can probably go the new HTML5 route.  At least initially
and I think continuing forward.  But obviously the more generic the
better.

Thanks!
Bob