Re: unable to get /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/network/interfaces configured properly in wheezy

On 8/22/13, Mark Copper <mcopper@straitcity.com> wrote:
> As an aside, right there in the networking chapter of the debian
> manual under "The basic syntax of /etc/network/interfaces" is says in
> no uncertain terms, **Warning** Do not define duplicates of the
> "iface" stanza for a network interface in /etc/network/interfaces!
> Something I clearly violated in aping the new IP-related syntax.

I think the new syntax possibilities have not yet fully propagated
through the docs yet.

The iface ethX:Y syntax allows ifup/down to operate just on that alias
though, which is something I have used in the past, albeit not often.
Eg when working on a small black box device which requires ethernet
connection for config, and a specific client ip address, adding that
address as an alias is quite convenient for testing and later
re-configuring, by plugging directly into my workstation laptop and
ifup ethX:Y, when done, ifdown ethX:Y and plug laptop back into normal
network.

> The strange thing was that it didn't shut down the entire card.  The
> (master) nameserver kept working fine whilst port 22 was unavailable.
> So I was unable to pull back to my old server in this botched
> transition.

This implies a useful test prior to reboot of course:
ssh user@eth0.ip.ad.dress:22