Re: bind9, openswan crashes wheezy VPS

On Tue, Aug 13, 2013 at 01:37:32PM -0600, Bob Proulx wrote:
> I will be curious to hear what you find out about your problem.
> System crashes are always especially difficult for me to debug.

I'm closing this issue with my VPS provider, so wanted to follow up
here as well. My VPS provider changed the network interface from
virtio_net to e1000. Once we made that change, the VPS stopped
crashing, but querying local bind9 for www.debian.org. for example, and
running openswan as responder now produces a kernel panic. The VPS
itself stays up, but I'm forced to do a hard shutdown, and boot it up
again. So, I opened a bug against what was at that time the latest
debian kernel:

<http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=719668>

It may still be the latest kernel for all I know, but I went back to
the stock 3.2.0 kernel that comes with squeeze. The one good news is
that before kernels 3.4.56 and older caused the VPS to crash at times
during boot if bind9 was started while the eth0 interface was up. This
doesn't happen anymore under the stock wheezy 3.2.0 at least, since
the switch to e1000. I can stop/start bind9 as much as I want now
while eth0 is up without a system crash, or kernel panic.

Yes, I could be migrated to a host with a newer KVM/QEMU version. This
however isn't automated, and would incur a labor charge as a
result. Since I've found workarounds (below), and since the migration
doesn't guarantee a resolution to this, I decided to leave things as
they are.

I decided to not use my local bind9 for queries in /etc/resolv.conf
for now. I may try pdns-server one day to see how it does as far as
the crash/kernel panic. I also got openvpn going with my laptop able
to have a publicly routed IP address through my VPS. I would like to
thank Zenaan here for nudging me in the right direction to get this
going. I also want to apologize to Zenaan and the list if it seemed
like I was nitpicking during our exchange. That was not my intent. I
just wanted to make sure I understood what Zenaan was getting at. I
also want to thank Bob for his response to my initial post in this
thread.

If there is further news on this issue, it will likely take place in
the kernel bug ticket I gave above. If I do manage to find a solution
where openswan/bind are fully operational in my VPS on the same host,
I will post it here if it doesn't end up in the debian bug tracker.

Greg

--
web site: http://www.gregn..net
gpg public key: http://www.gregn..net/pubkey.asc