Re: bind9, openswan crashes wheezy VPS

Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On the other hand, if it's something in the network stack, why am I
> for example able to query my VPS provider's servers for the same
> domains without crashes? If it's in the network stack, then I think
> it's reasonable to conclude I'd be seeing crashes regardless of what
> name servers I queried for those domains. Right?

I don't know but for example DNS will start off with a UDP query.  But
if the response is too large for a single UDP packet then it will
change to a TCP connection for the larger data exchange.  So let's say
that UDP always works okay and it is only something about TCP that is
problematic.  Then you could definitely find issues with some domain
names and not others if those problematic ones used TCP due to a
larger amount of data.  Such as if some have many more records than
others.

You might compare the sizes of the returned data in a dns query and
see if there is a correlation.  'dig' should give you that
information.  But I am not saying that is the problem.  Just saying
that there will be differences in how the lookups are handled.

BTW...  What do you have in /etc/nsswitch.conf?  Hope it just says
"files dns" there.

  $ grep hosts /etc/nsswitch.conf
  hosts:          files dns

Bob