Re: Fake fulfilled dependency without dummy package

On Sun, 2013-08-18 at 00:37 +0100, "Karl E. Jørgensen" wrote:
> Are you implying that pulseaudio is badly designed?  Just
> curios; I have no intention of re-igniting the pulseaudio debates I've
> seen on the mailing lists and forums in the past...

Without discussing the source code, the way pulseaudio handles audio
streams, regarding to this I only could quote what a known Linux DSP
coder mentioned, it already is bad software, because it not always can
be disabled without issues, but it will break audio on some machines.
Making this a hard dependency by e.g. the gnome-settings-daemon is
ignorant.

Several times people claimed that nowadays pulseaudio can be disabled
without issues and several times after such claims people experience
issues when doing this. Since I don't need pulseaudio and I always would
have to disable it, when doing audio productions, I can't see a reason
to install it to my _userspace_.

> Linux (by which I presume you mean Debian, as "Linux" refers to the
> kernel, and we're discussing userspace stuff here)

Correct, in this context Linux is for the userspace of what distro ever.