Re: Fake fulfilled dependency without dummy package

On Sat, 2013-08-17 at 16:36 -0700, Gregory Nowak wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 06:10:52PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > IIRC there's a command that can fake, that an unmet dependency is
> > fulfilled. I already searched for apt, dpkg, aptitude regarding to this
> > subject, but had no success.
> >
> > Am I mistake, is a dummy package needed?
>
> I have a question along the same lines, but opposite scenario. If a
> dummy package is installed, and then it's uninstalled, only the dummy
> package is uninstalled, not the dependencies. For example, installing
> linux-image-686-pae also installs
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae. However, removing linux-image-686-pae
> doesn't also remove linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae. How in this example
> would removing linux-image-686-pae also remove
> linux-image-3.2.0-4-686-pae as well? Doing apt-get --purge remove
> doesn't work in these situations. Note, I'm not actually intending to
> uninstall the kernel, this is just an example that readily came to
> mind.

If something needs the dummy package as a dependency and you remove it,
then the package management will remove the packages that depend on this
dummy too, don't confuse this with e.g. meta packages that will install
a collection of packages and that can be removed later. Btw. isn't
"purge" for removing configs too? Most dummy packages likely are empty.