Fwd: Re: an other question about installer

- -------- Message original --------
Sujet: Re: an other question about installer
Date : Fri, 09 Aug 2013 09:53:18 +0200
De : François Patte <francois.patte@mi.parisdescartes.fr>
Pour : g6299304p@rezozer.net

Le 09/08/2013 07:14, Jerome BENOIT a écrit :
> [...]
>>
>> device RAID1 n°0  ext3 (old HDDs, first array) device RAID1 n°1 lvm
>> (old HDDs, second array) device RAID1 n°2 ext4 (SSDs, first array)
>> device RAID1 n°3 lvm (SSDs, second array)
>>
>> SCSI1 (sda) with 2 raid devices (1st SSD) SCSI2 (sdb) with 2 raid
>> devices (2nd SSD) SCSI5 (sdc)  with 2 raid devices (1st HDD) SCSI6
>> (sdd)  with 2 raid devices (2nd HDD)
>>
>> I could configurate device RAID n°2 giving the mount point (/boot)
>> and ext4 formatting.
>>
>> When I want to configurate the lvm on device RAID n°3, the
>> installer returns:
>>
>> before the LVM could be configurated, the actual scheme of
>> partitionment must be set down. *These changes will be
>> irreversible*.
>>
>> <......>
>>
>> The following partition tables will be changed: RAID1 n°2: SCSI5
>> (0,0,0) (sdc) SCSI6 (0,0,0) (sdd)
>>
>> The following partitions will be formated: partition 1 on device
>> RAID1 n°2, type ext4
>>

>> I am upset by this:
>>
>> 1- RAID device n°2 is supposed to be the first array on SSDs
>> corresponding to sda and sdb (and not sdc and sdd)
>>
>> 2- I don't want to change anything in RAID devices n°0 and n°1 (sdc
>> and sdd) because I want to keep the old system untill the new one
>> will be installed on the SSD (sda and sdb) *and* I want to use the
>> /home partition of these old disks as the /home of the new
>> installation....
>>
>> (Everything is backed up.... but I prefer to understand what is
>> going on here!)
>>

>> I hope to have been clear enough: I am not a computer scientist
>> and English language is not my mother tongue... So I could have
>> done some mistakes and did not use the right vocabulary.
>
> I am not a computer scientist either, but I am somehow familiar with
> computers in labs.
>
> Given the situation, to simplify your life: 1] make a backup of your
> /home on an external haddrive (an effective external hard drive, on
> an other computer, ...); 2] forget the Fedora stuff and install
> Debian from _scratch_ ; 3] after installation, backup back you /home
> folder (and check that the former privilege policy of your /home is
> compatible with the Debian policy).
>
> I can not help on what is really going on, but by experience, to put
> it simply, I know that Fedora is ``messy'' (compare to Debian): if
> you keep your Fedora material, you may encounter minor but annoying
> difference (as different version, different default options, ...)
> that may pollute you life not only during the installation but also
> afterwards.
>
> Installing from scratch may seem a waste of time, but it is not in
> fact because you de facto discard a long list of potential highly
> annoying and subtil issues. On the list, you will even find some
> people that encourage installation from scratch for Debian release
> upgrading. Anyway, the waste of time will be due mainly to backups:
> during backups, take a break, drink cups of tea, or read Debian

This is quite frustrating!

1- I want to keep my fedora system (which I can boot choosing the right
disk in the bios) untill the debian installation will be finished and
configurated.

2- I could unplug the fedora disks.... but, I want to install some
debian partitions on these disks (/var, /tmp and swap) to avoid too much
writing on the SSDs.

3- Note that the installer message seems faulty: RAID n°2 is concerned
by sda and sdb only.

4- The message says that "the following partition tables (sdc, sdd) will
be changed" not re-formated. What changes? I don't know! And, still,
these disks are not concerned by the LVM on the other disks (as far as I
know)....

Or this message merely says that a new LVM will be running and something
has to be changed/added to take that new LVM into account. In that case
the message is inapropriate; how to be sure?

Thanks for the answer.

> Bon courage,

Merci. J'aimerais quand même ne pas avancer les yeux fermés!