Re: an other question about installer

Bonjour,

On 08/08/13 23:34, François Patte wrote:
> Bonsoir,
>
> I encounter a difficulty while partitionning.
>
> The situation:
>
> 4 disks:
>
> 2 "old" HDD with the previous install (fedora 10). These 2 disks contain
> 2 raid(1) arrays, one with the / partition and one with the system
> (/usr, /var, /tmp, /tmp, /home) using LVM.
>
> 2 SSD that I intend to configurate in the same way as the HDD: 2 raid(1)
> arrays (/boot and the rest (except /home, /var, /tmp), including /),
> using LVM.
>
> The installer reads:
>
> device RAID1 n°0  ext3 (old HDDs, first array)
> device RAID1 n°1 lvm (old HDDs, second array)
> device RAID1 n°2 ext4 (SSDs, first array)
> device RAID1 n°3 lvm (SSDs, second array)
>
> SCSI1 (sda) with 2 raid devices (1st SSD)
> SCSI2 (sdb) with 2 raid devices (2nd SSD)
> SCSI5 (sdc)  with 2 raid devices (1st HDD)
> SCSI6 (sdd)  with 2 raid devices (2nd HDD)
>
> I could configurate device RAID n°2 giving the mount point (/boot) and
> ext4 formatting.
>
> When I want to configurate the lvm on device RAID n°3, the installer
> returns:
>
> before the LVM could be configurated, the actual scheme of partitionment
> must be set down. *These changes will be irreversible*.
>
> <......>
>
> The following partition tables will be changed:
> RAID1 n°2:
>   SCSI5 (0,0,0) (sdc)
>   SCSI6 (0,0,0) (sdd)
>
> The following partitions will be formated:
>   partition 1 on device RAID1 n°2, type ext4
>

> I am upset by this:
>
> 1- RAID device n°2 is supposed to be the first array on SSDs
> corresponding to
> sda and sdb (and not sdc and sdd)
>
> 2- I don't want to change anything in RAID devices n°0 and n°1 (sdc and
> sdd) because I want to keep the old system untill the new one will be
> installed on the SSD (sda and sdb) *and* I want to use the /home
> partition of these old disks as the /home of the new installation....
>
> (Everything is backed up.... but I prefer to understand what is going on
> here!)
>

> I hope to have been clear enough: I am not a computer scientist and
> English language is not my mother tongue... So I could have done some
> mistakes and did not use the right vocabulary.

I am not a computer scientist either, but I am somehow familiar with computers in labs.

Given the situation, to simplify your life:
1] make a backup of your /home on an external haddrive (an effective external hard drive, on an other computer, ...);
2] forget the Fedora stuff and install Debian from _scratch_ ;
3] after installation, backup back you /home folder (and check that the former privilege policy of your /home is
compatible with the Debian policy).

I can not help on what is really going on, but by experience, to put it simply, I know that Fedora is ``messy'' (compare to Debian):
if you keep your Fedora material, you may encounter minor but annoying difference (as different version, different default options, ...)
that may pollute you life not only during the installation but also afterwards.

Installing from scratch may seem a waste of time, but it is not in fact because you de facto discard a long list
of potential highly annoying and subtil issues. On the list, you will even find some people that encourage
installation from scratch for Debian release upgrading. Anyway, the waste of time will be due mainly to backups:
during backups, take a break, drink cups of tea, or read Debian manuals.

Bon courage,
Jerome