Strange Problem with Executable File

I have installed Debian v 7.1.0 and Debian Testing in 2 different
implementations of VMWare Player on my 64 bit laptop to use as test
beds before deploying software to my 7.1.0 production machine.

I have run into a rather strange problem when I installed MOPAC2012.
The author furnishes the program as a compiled MOPAC2012.exe even
though it's compiled as a Linux program, and, in fact, runs in v-7.1.0
in the VMWare Player.  I installed exactly the same executable in the
Testing version, but when I attemtp to execute the program I get the
following:

computation@inga:/opt/mopac$ ./MOPAC2012.exe 7840404a15291320
bash: ./MOPAC2012.exe: No such file or directory
computation@inga:/opt/mopac$

The permissions are -rwxr-xr-x

I happen to be a chemist, not a programmer, and would greatly
appreciate some guidance as to a solution to this prroble.

Thanks in advance