Re: Deleting chromium DNS cache entry doesn't seem to help.

On Sun, 14 Jul 2013 14:57:14 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 16:53:01 -0400, staticsafe wrote:
>
>> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:39:10PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>>> For some reason, chromium seems to have got it stuck in its head that
>>> slashdot,org is at 69.165.131.134.  At least, when I try to browse to
>>> slashdot.org using chromium, the displayed contents are identical to
>>> the contents at 16.165.131.134, which contains my personal web site.
>>>
>>> Firefox and chrome have no trouble reaching the real site.
>>>
>>> And I can read slashdot just fine on chromium if I enter the IP number
>>> 216.34.181.45 instead of the domain name.
>>>
>>> So I'm guessing that chromium has got that IP number stuck in some
>>> internal DNS cache.
>
> It now looks as if chromium's DNS cache may not be the problem.
> Chromium must be getting slashdot's IP address from somewhere else --
> somewhere that firefox and ping don't access.
>

>>> How can I get it to forget it?
>>>
>>> -- hendrik
>>
>> Navigate to chrome://net-internals/#dns and press the "Clear host
>> cache"
>> button.
>
> After navigating there from chromium and pressing the button,
> slashdot.org doesn't appear in the listing of the cache entries on that
> page.
>
> But the misbehaviour still persists, even after a reboot.
>
> And firefox and chrome and ping still reach the right site.
>
> And when I go to chrome://net-internals/#dns on chrome itself, it tells
> mem it *does* have slashdot.org in its cache, with the right IP number.
>
> The cache chromium reveals with chrome://net-internals/#dns clearly has
> different contents from the one that chrome reveals -- which confirms
> that they have different caches.
>
> And even after browsing to slashdot.org in chromium and getting to the
> wrong place, going to chrome://net-internals/#dns with chromium still
> indicates that slashdot.org is not in the cache.
>
> So I'm suspecting that chrome://net-internals/#dns may not reeveal the
> real cache in chromium.
>
> So where *is* chromium getting this misinformation?
>
> Just for reference, here's my /etc/resolv.conf file:
>
> # Generated by NetworkManager domain topoi.pooq.com search
> topoi.pooq.com nameserver 8.8.8.8 nameserver 8.8.4.4
>

> -- hendrik
>

>> Source -
>> http://superuser.com/a/203702

It's been most of a week now, and the problem persists.
Chromium still insists on going to the website normally known as
topoi.pooq.com when I request slashdot.org.

Neither iceweasel nor chrome do this; both find the proper slashdot.org.

Even ping finds the proper site.

The problem presumably started a week ago when there was a temporary
networking problem, but only chromium seems to have fixated on the wrong
IP address.

I have followed the procedure for clearing chromium's dns cache.  When I
look at the cache contents, slashdot isn't in it.  Does chromium have
another, secret cache?

And it appears that I do not have nscd running, or even installed.

I'm starting to think of shuttering chromium forever, assuming I can copy
its bookmarks elsewhere, say, to chrome.

-- hendrik