Re: Deleting chromium DNS cache entry doesn't seem to help.

On Sat, 13 Jul 2013 16:53:01 -0400, staticsafe wrote:

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2013 at 08:39:10PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> For some reason, chromium seems to have got it stuck in its head that
>> slashdot,org is at 69.165.131.134.  At least, when I try to browse to
>> slashdot.org using chromium, the displayed contents are identical to
>> the contents at 16.165.131.134, which contains my personal web site.
>>
>> Firefox and chrome have no trouble reaching the real site.
>>
>> And I can read slashdot just fine on chromium if I enter the IP number
>> 216.34.181.45 instead of the domain name.
>>
>> So I'm guessing that chromium has got that IP number stuck in some
>> internal DNS cache.

It now looks as if chromium's DNS cache may not be the problem.  Chromium
must be getting slashdot's IP address from somewhere else -- somewhere
that firefox and ping don't access.

>> How can I get it to forget it?
>>
>> -- hendrik
>
> Navigate to chrome://net-internals/#dns and press the "Clear host cache"
> button.

After navigating there from chromium and pressing the button, slashdot.org
doesn't appear in the listing of the cache entries on that page.

But the misbehaviour still persists, even after a reboot.

And firefox and chrome and ping still reach the right site.

And when I go to chrome://net-internals/#dns on chrome itself, it tells
mem it *does* have slashdot.org in its cache, with the right IP number.

The cache chromium reveals with chrome://net-internals/#dns clearly has
different contents from the one that chrome reveals -- which confirms
that they have different caches.

And even after browsing to slashdot.org in chromium and getting to the
wrong place, going to chrome://net-internals/#dns with chromium still
indicates that slashdot.org is not in the cache.

So I'm suspecting that chrome://net-internals/#dns may not reeveal the
real cache in chromium.

So where *is* chromium getting this misinformation?

Just for reference, here's my /etc/resolv.conf file:

# Generated by NetworkManager
domain topoi.pooq.com
search topoi.pooq.com
nameserver 8.8.8.8