Re: wheezy keyboard shortcuts w/ lxde

On 13 July 2013 09:54, Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> In squeeze I was able to set up keyboard shortcuts in gnome using
> System->Preferences->keyboard shortcuts. In wheezy/lxde I can't find how
> to do this. Searching turned up a comment about editing a lxde-rc.xml
> file but I can't open it with anything except as a raw file which is
> unintelligible to me.

Hi Robert,

Time to learn something new! You make it sound like editing a text
file is scary. Honestly, most readers here would find that ridiculous.
Many would prefer that method over some GUI interface which behind the
scenes justs attempt to edit the same text file. Doing it yourself is
actually more reliable, and clearer. The reason there's no GUI, and
possibly never will be, it that projects like lxde/openbox are
streamlined/minimal and often tend to change fast, so if there was a
GUI it probably would not keep up, and the consequent bugs would be
annoying.

The file is ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
Make a backup copy of it first in case something goes wrong. Open it
up in a text editor, try some sensible changes based on the example of
the existing contents and the reference information, and experiment.

The reference information links are here:
http://wiki.lxde.org/en/LXDE:Questions#Change_hotkeys

As you can see, lxde uses openbox for this functionality. I don't use
hotkeys myself, but I have made other changes to that file. I'm just
encouraging you to "try it and see what happens", like everyone else
does. If things go badly, just restore the file from your backup copy.