Re: *Another* Backup software question...

> This seems not to be a solution for most of us.
>
> Regards,
> Ralf

Yeah, it was just an idea. :) However, for backup purposes, my solutions are
the following:

Solution 1:
If you have another server available, use rsync and make two copies. First
one, just copy all files to a folder on the second server. If your system
crashes, you can quick install a new system and rsync back (i.e. via crossover
cable).
You can add a cron job, to do this thing hourly, daily and weekly. Works fine,
tested at work on my servers.

The second copy I suggest, use clonezilla (or partimage) to make a file of your
complete partition(s) or better harddrives. In case of a hardware crash, you
can just buy a new one, and can restore back (including all partitions!) in
one step.

Solution 2:
If you have NO second server, I suggest again two ways. Fgirst one is, to
store the things above on an USB drive. Harddrives are cheap now, but as Ralf
already mentioned, if they fall down, you get a brick.

So maybe solution 2 comes in handy. Install an old PC (some Pentium 1 will do
it) , and mak a fileserver. You do not need much, just base debian system and
rsync. However, maybe, you want it improve? Just add DRBL to it, so you can
save harddrive images there and can boot from it. Hey, take a look at
clonezilla website!

Solution 3:
Using colonezilla-livefile make images of your harddrive. You can split it in
4,5GB chunks and copy them to DVD. But remember: DVD and CD will not be ok
forever, but if you make 3 or 4 sets of it, it is relatively unlikely, that
the same part will be defective on all DVD's. Be careful., when creating them,
MD5sum will help to check.

Solution 4: You can also use the cloud. IMO this is the worst solution, as I
want always have complete control of all my data. However, you benefit of small
costs and that the provider takes care that data will not be sofisticated and
will be secured. If you decide for this, you should in any case encrypt all
date very hard. And encrypt it offline, best somewhere else and then upload it -
of course with a protocol that is highly encrypted as well (like ssh).

Solution 5: Another bad solution. You can use tape drives. Tapes are cheap,
but their disadvantage is, they are slow and you need a tape drive. However,
tapes are rather good for long time saves. Of course, they also will not live
forever. But data recovering shall work fine, even at errors on the tape. I
never checked this, but at the governmentm where I worked in a  data
processing center, I heard much good of tapes. Ok, they are obsolete. :)

Maybe, if I think more, there might be some more solutions, but maybe this
gives you some more ideas.

Have fun and happy hacking!

Hans