Re: PCI Express 2.0 SATA 3 host bus adapter

On 7/10/2013 11:03 PM, David Christensen wrote:
> On 07/10/13 17:04, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> LSI HBAs are acknowledged as the most Linux compatible/friendly and
>> highest performance HBAs/RAID cards available.  The 9211-4i is the least
>> expensive HBA in their lineup, a PCIe 2.0 x4 card w/4 ports.
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I see you still favor LSI products:

I'm about to throw a wrench in here. ;)

> http://www.amazon.com/review/R3GTOQEHXQ7POV/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B002RL8IUO&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=
> http://www.amazon.com/review/R14RO88OL3KN8Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_perm?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0036RH6L0&linkCode=&nodeID=&tag=

Meaningless, irrelevant reviews.  They both are cheap people, bought
HBAs with limited RAID functionality and expected real RAID card
performance.

> The 9260-4i ($302.32) is almost twice the money.

Not applicable for your use case/budget.

> Initially, I plan to use the card for an internal 3 TB HDD (for data).

Get an HBA, not a RAID card.

> At some point in the future, I may buy one or two additional HDD and use
> hardware RAID.

It's best to use identical drives with identical firmware, which means
buying all your drives up front from the same lot.  You also need to
verify the drives are certified by LSI to operate correctly with their
controllers.

http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/RAID%20Controllers/RAID%20Controllers%20Common%20Files/MegaRAID_Value_Feature_Interop_List_SAS2.pdf

> What do you think of the 9240-4i and 9260-4i?  (I don't have enough bays
> to justify an *-8i product.)

Neither will work in your system.  They're both PCIe x8 cards.  You
stated your largest slot is x4.

Adaptec offers the 4 port 6805E real RAID card with 128MB cache.  It is
a PCIe 2.0 x1 card so it'll work in just about any system.  It offers
1GB/s duplex throughput and can thus handle the bandwidth of 4 spinning
drives.  It offers good performance and RAID levels 0/1/1E/10.  It's
currently the best bargain for a hardware RAID controller on the market
today.  $200.

--
Stan