Re: Problem with HDMI audio output after upgrade

On Sun, Jul 7, 2013 at 8:37 AM, José Luis Segura Lucas <josel.segura@gmx.es> wrote:
El 06/07/13 06:17, Igor Cicimov escribió:

I guess alsa got upgraded in same time right? Check your ~/.asoundrc file, or even better copy and paste it here, to confirm the config there still matches the hdmi device as showed by aplay. I've seen cases where different versions of alsa show the devices in different order.

Sorry, I totally forget to paste the content of that file. Sorry:

$ cat ~/.asoundrc
pcm.!default {
  type plug
  slave.pcm "hdmi"

}

ctl.!default {
  type hw
  card 1
}

pcm.!hdmi {

  type hw
  card 1
  device 7
}

ctl.!hdmi {

  type hw
  card 1
  device 7
}

Just try finding the correct device using speaker-test application. For example to test my HDMI connection to my monitor with built in speakers I run:

$ speaker-test -Dplug:hdmi -c 2

In your case try (replace -c 2 with -c 6 in case you have 5.1 surround)

$ speaker-test -Dhw:1,7 -c 2

and

$ speaker-test -Dplughw:1,7 -c 2

or

$ speaker-test -Dhdmi:CARD=NVidia,DEV=3 -c 2

and so on until you find the device that works for you. Another possibility is that during the upgrade your default audio system switched to pulse audio (very possible looking at your aplay output). In that case you need to install "pavucontrol", the control tool for pulse audio,  and set your sound through that.