Re: Problem with HDMI audio output after upgrade

On 06/07/2013 8:48 AM, "José Luis Segura Lucas" <josel.segura@gmx.es> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I'm having an issue with my HTPC computer. I was using it with WBMC, and
> using a HDMI cable to output the video and audio from my computer to the TV.
>
> When I first installed Debian a year ago I have some problems ([1]),but
> them was solved using a ~/.asoundrc configuration file.
>
> I was happy with my computer, but a few days ago I realized that my
> Debian Sid become a little outdated, when I try to install the
> experimental version of XBMC.
>
> Before upgrading XBMC I decided to upgrade the whole system (around 300
> packages, only upgrade, not dist-upgrade). The upgrade process was fine
> and I rebooted the computer.
>
> The surprise comes when I try to use my XBMC installation and the sound
> is not working at all. No errors are shown, the configuration file is in
> its place. I checked the "mute" checkboxes on my alsaconfig, and all
> appears to be ok.
>
> I don't know where to start to look for a solution.
>
> Anybody knows what can be wrong? Anybody had a similar problem? Thanks
> in advance
>
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2012/05/msg00056.html
>
> Some (maybe) helpful outputs:
>
> $ lspci | grep -i -e audio
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation NM10/ICH7 Family High Definition
> Audio Controller (rev 02)
> 02:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio
> Controller (rev a1)
>
> $ aplay -l
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 0: ALC892 Analog [ALC892 Analog]
>   Subdevices: 0/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 1: ALC892 Digital [ALC892 Digital]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 3: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 7: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 8: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
> card 1: NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 9: HDMI 0 [HDMI 0]
>   Subdevices: 1/1
>   Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
>
> $ aplay -L
> null
>     Discard all samples (playback) or generate zero samples (capture)
> pulse
>     PulseAudio Sound Server
> default
>     Playback/recording through the PulseAudio sound server
> sysdefault:CARD=Intel
>     HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
>     Default Audio Device
> front:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
>     Front speakers
> surround40:CARD=Intel,DEV=0
>     HDA Intel, ALC892 Analog
>     4.0 Surround output to Front and Rear speakers
> [...]
I guess alsa got upgraded in same time right? Check your ~/.asoundrc file, or even better copy and paste it here, to confirm the config there still matches the hdmi device as showed by aplay. I've seen cases where different versions of alsa show the devices in different order.