Re: simulating a large Windows domain with Samba

On Tue, Jul 02, 2013 at 03:26:31PM -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> For a project at work, I need to simulate a large Windows domain (100's or 1000's of member computers).  Is there an easy way to do this with Samba, short of creating 100's or 1000's of real or virtual machines?
>
> The Domain controller will be an actual Windows machine, but for my test I need to have a very large number of computers added to that domain.  I was thinking perhaps a single Linux system running Samba could masquerade itself as multiple Windows machines, but I don't know if that's really possible.

You would probably be best off asking this on a samba mailing list; they
might have a stress-testing tool that they use themselves. If not, and
your coding skills are up to it, use the samba source code to figure out
the SMB protocol. It may be possible to write a minimal server that
'pretends' to be several different machines (I don't know the SMB
protocol myself, but it may be a case of registering many times with the
domain controller, or when asked "Which computer are you?" replying with
different answers").