Re: encrypted USB backup.

On 02/07/13 22:53, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> What is the recommended way to set up part of a USB volume as an
> encrypted volume, so that I can back up those few of my files that
> actually contain secrets?
>
> This is not a backup over the net.  I have no need to encrypt the data
> transmission.
>
> I already back up the bulk of my files transparently (so as not to lose
> the data by losing an encryption key).  I just need to encrypt a few of
> them -- a file here and there, and a directory or two.
>
> -- hendrik

Hello Hendrik

If you want easy, secure and reliable encryption try Truecrypt
(http://www.truecrypt.org). Create an encrypted container (or encrypt
the entire USB device) and store your information. Truecrypt is really
easy to use and very reliable in my opinion.

Should you look for a more "standard" way have a look at Luks (Search
the net and you'll find a number of tutorials). The advantage Luks has
over Truecrypt is that you'll be able to open your encrypted volume on
virtually any modern Linux computer, without requiring extra software.
In my opinion Luks should be default for any Linux installation: encrypt
the entire disk.

--
Kind regards
Michael

Sinax Platform - Scalable Django hosting
http://www.sinaxplatform.com