[Fwd: Affected by gnome-shell lockups on wheezy?]

This might be of interest for some GNOME users on this mailing list.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :

despite some workarounds added to the gnome-shell package, some users
have still complained of more or less frequent deadlocks of the shell
(usually 10 minutes after login), forcing them to fall back to GNOME
Classic or other desktops.

We know vaguely where this comes from, and it should be fixed in GNOME
3.8, but in the meantime we can improve the situation in wheezy.

If you have been affected by such deadlocks, please test gnome-shell
3.4.2-11 in unstable. I can also provide wheezy packages if needed. If
the deadlock happens, it should now soon after login, and the shell
should restart after 10 seconds instead of remaining locked. It’s still
far from perfect, of course, but it should be a big improvement over
losing the session.

If the tests are conclusive, we’ll upload this fix into wheezy in the
next point release.

Thanks,
--
 .''`.      Josselin Mouette