Re: Botched python upgrade mangled my system--- HELP

Charles Blair wrote:
> (1) When plugged into a nearby ethernet connection
> (of course very lucky that there is one), I got
> connected immediately.  From /etc/network/interfaces

Yay!

> >   allow-hotplug eth0
> >   #NetworkManager#iface eth0 inet dhcp

Since it is commented out then NetworkManager will manage it.  And
apparently NM wasn't removed with python so it is still there to work
it okay.  That is good.  (However I disapprove of the way NM commented
out the interface as part of its management of it.  But that is
another story.)

>    I decided to try working with this file without
> editing it.

That is perfectly reasonable.

> (2)  The apt-get sequence of instructions
> seemed to be working all right until
>
> apt-get upgrade

Oh good!  Then you mostly got your desktop back and should be mostly
up and running.  That last bit of upgrade was to install security
upgrades.

> started  to work on the "amd64-image".  At that
> point, it quit, saying "no space left on the
> device".

Which device is out of space?  Please post:

  df -lh

But it is possible and perhaps likely that simply your /var is filled
up due to the history of packages cached there.  Try this first:

  apt-get autoclean

That will clean up old versions no longer available and might free up
enough space to continue.  If it does then great.  If it does then
continue.

  apt-get autoclean
  df -h
  apt-get upgrade
  apt-get dist-upgrade  # verify any removes first
  apt-get clean

If it does not then I would clean everything and then try again.

  apt-get clean
  df -h
  apt-get upgrade
  apt-get dist-upgrade  # verify any removes first
  apt-get clean

The 'clean' action removes everything from the cache.  But some of
those things you will need for the upgrade so it will need to download
them again.  But it will also remove everything else that you just
installed.  And since you just installed GNOME 2 it will have quite a
bit of cached disk space there!

Have you completed the step to install all of the packages that were
previously installed yet?  After that step I should mention that you
should look at packages removed and still holding config files.
Looking those over and cleaning them up would pretty much finish
fixing everything.

  dpkg -l | grep ^rc

>    I have encountered this problem before.  I
> think that, during the initial debian install,
> I tried to follow some out-of-date disk partitioning
> advice in the documentation.  When the same thing
> went wrong with a later install on a different machine,
> I seem to have avoided trouble by just accepting the
> installer-supplied defaults.

Since you are using LVM you may have unallocated space available for
allocation.  The output of 'vgs' will say.  And 'lvs' is also useful.

  vgs

  lvs

Using lvm you can reapportion the disk space allocation.  If it isn't
optimal then you can pour disk from one place to another to improve
it.  Good stuff!  Let's see where your disk space is allocated and
then I can suggest actions to improve it.

Bob