Re: bc is not in linux-source debs.Recommended, neither in Documentation/Changes

bc is a great shell calculator gadget!

It also needs to be completely re-written. Re-designed, too, which probably factored into the motivations for writing Python and Ruby.

Heh. bc is one of those tools you want to fix, but aren't sure how, and so you keep using it and keep ignoring that you want to fix it. (In my case, if I can ever get my own C implementation of fig-forth running well, I want to add an arbitrary precision library to it. But that's not going to be satisfactory to a lot of other people, either.)

What exactly are you concerned about that we can do something about on the users list? Has bc been dropped from being a default part of the most basic install? Do we need to contact someone at kernel.org?