Re: Fwd: iptables and networking

Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> writes:

>> <snipped previous context>
>
> OK, that makes a lot of sense.  However, there are two problems with
> fail2ban, also.  The first one is it requires an authentication failure.
>   Port probing will not trigger it (but recent can).  The second being
> it depends on log entries, which can be buffered.  I have it monitoring
> my email (smtp/imap/pop3) ports.  Even though it is set to trigger after
> two failures, I have seen as many as 50+ failures logged from the same
> ip address within seconds before fail2ban is triggered.

To address your first problem with fail2ban, the sshd-ddos filter for
fail2ban does not require authentication failures.  sshd will log a
message of the form "Did not receive identification string from <IP>" if
someone makes a TCP connection and then disconnects without going
through the SSH handshake.

--
regards,
kushal