Re: Fwd: iptables and networking

On 7/1/2013 2:15 AM, Kushal Kumaran wrote:
Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> writes:

<snipped previous context>

OK, that makes a lot of sense.  However, there are two problems with
fail2ban, also.  The first one is it requires an authentication failure.
   Port probing will not trigger it (but recent can).  The second being
it depends on log entries, which can be buffered.  I have it monitoring
my email (smtp/imap/pop3) ports.  Even though it is set to trigger after
two failures, I have seen as many as 50+ failures logged from the same
ip address within seconds before fail2ban is triggered.

To address your first problem with fail2ban, the sshd-ddos filter for
fail2ban does not require authentication failures.  sshd will log a
message of the form "Did not receive identification string from <IP>" if
someone makes a TCP connection and then disconnects without going
through the SSH handshake.

That's one message which can be logged (for SSH). But the message (and where it is logged) is going to be dependent on the program/service running on the particular port (and sometimes the version of the program/service).

After all, SSH is not the only possible entry point.

I'm not so worried about SYN attacks from spoofed IP addresses as I am
attempts to break in (despite several security measures).  I want to
shut them off ASAP.