Re: trouble formatting 3TB Seagate external HDrives. need help

Chris Bannister <cbannister@slingshot.co.nz> writes:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 10:24:33PM +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>> What I do for every new disk before I use it is an exhaustive read/write
>> check with badblocks.  It reads and writes every block multiple times
>> with various bitpatterns and random bitpatterns, and check that they can
>> be  read correctly.
>>
>> If there's anything wrong with the drive, I return it to the store for a
>> replacement.  And yes, I have had to return drives sometimes.  Those
>> turned out to have thousands of bad blocks, so good riddance.
>
> And they replace it, no questions asked? I've a feeling they'd want some
> sort of proof?

The couple of times I've returned a drive after badblocks-reported
failures, Seagate wanted a report from their diagnostic tool (basically
equivalent to "smartctl --all" output) before they would issue a RMA
number, and Western Digital didn't care.  I've only returned drives
directly to manufacturers.  The stores where I live don't take returns,
and direct you to the manufacturers themselves.

--
regards,
kushal