Re: RedHat and MariaDB

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 18:29:44 +0200, Jerry Stuckle <jstuckle@attglobal.net> wrote:

On 6/16/2013 9:17 AM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
On Sun, 2013-06-16 at 08:57 -0400, Jerry Stuckle wrote:
Debian will quickly lose users to distros which do listen

Can you name some distros that do listen?

Who cares about other distros?  I'm talking about Debian.

Your claim is that Debian will lose users _quickly_ to other distros ;), that's why I'm interested in those distros that do listen. At the moment, resp. for a very long time, I'm not using Debian and Ubuntu anymore, resp. I'm using them seldom. I'm still not completely satisfied with the distro I prefer at the moment. I don't know a distro that does listen to the users needs, as Andrei already has written, "Debian works as a do-ocracy" and this is similar for most Linux distros.

The real issue is, that the do-ocracy is limited by the policy of a distro, so it could become difficult to contribute packages, if there will be serious dependency issues, e.g. if things depend to special processes, that are replaced by other processes. IIRC for Debian e.g. udev is completely outdated, perhaps because Debian doesn't use systemd.

However, I guess Debian does lose and win users in a "normal" scope.