Re: RedHat and MariaDB

On Fri, June 14, 2013 6:01 pm, Mark Allums wrote:
> Slashdot and others have reported that RedHat, like Fedora and OpenSuSE,
> is switching from MySQL to MariaDB.  I expect Debian will follow suit,
> since they have set precedents many times for preferring free software.
> (Example: OpenOffice.org ==> LibreOffice.)
>
> Has this been discussed?  Does anyone have a time frame for this?  I would
> like to see this happen in time for Jessie.

I'm surprised Debian hasn't taken the lead in this.
Larry seems to have developed a somewhat similar stance to open source,
over the years, as Bill Gates.

And to digress a little, it might be an idea to firm up policy around
database generally while we are at it.

I'm sick of installing this package and this one and that and the other,
then looking up at the end of the install to find that mysql, postgresql,
firebird, and two or three other database structures have all been pulled
in as dependencies.

Surely we can make things a little tidier than that.
Is it really so hard to settle policy on one database - Postgresql? - then
modify Debian packages, including LibreOffice, for that.
Cheers!

Weaver

--
"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its  government."
 -- Thomas Paine

Registered Linux User: 554515