Debug symbols for all (or most?) packages?

Disclaimer: I'm primarily a Fedora user, but I manage a few
Ubuntu-based servers, which are based on Debian, and my issue seems to
exist in plain Debian as well, so here goes...

A few days ago, I had a program dump core.  It crashed in a function
in /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libprocps.so.0.0.1, and no symbols were
installed.  So I did:

$ dpkg -S /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libprocps.so.0.0.1
libprocps0:amd64: /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libprocps.so.0.0.1

Aha - libprocps0-dbg must be missing!  So I tried it install it -- no
luck.  After reading things like
http://wiki.debian.org/HowToGetABacktrace and visiting pages like
http://packages.debian.org/source/sid/procps, it seems like there are,
in fact, no symbols available at all.  I can build a new package from
source, install it, and hope for another crash, but this is a nasty
thing to do to a production server.

Does Debian really not have debug symbols for all (or even most)
packages?  Fedora is really good about this.  Am I missing something?

(FWIW, this has happened to be quite a few times in quite a few
different packages.  I'm fairly agnostic about distributions, but this
may cause me to move to something Fedora-based for my servers at some
point.  I've wasted a fair amount of time doing symbol-less debugging
on my servers, and I've never had this problem on my Fedora
development box.)

Thanks,
Andy