Re: User unable to umount

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 11:30:33AM CEST, Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@alice-dsl.net> said:
> On Thu, 2013-05-30 at 10:59 +0200, Erwan David wrote:

> > > You can use tools to mount and unmount as user, e.g. gvfs, something
> > > that I've got removed from my Linux. What's edited in fstab isn't
> > > mounted by the user. A regular mount and umount can only be done by
> > > root.
> >
> > That's what the user option in fstab is for. The fact here is to allow
> > cifs authentication using kerberos credentials, thus the mount must be
> > done by the user.
> >
> > And it works well, except for unmounting...
>
> I don't know this tool, but note, this tool seems to mount on a very low
> system level, while gvfs is a tool used with GUI file browsers.
>
> You shouldn't be allowed to simply unmount something on a low system
> level, when you're running a multi-user OS.
>
> I don't know what kind of security rules gvfs and what kind of rules
> this thingy here does use, but I suspect it's not that easy just to
> check, if a mounted dir is in use. Once it's mounted and a user has
> permission, e.g. by a group, to mount and use mounted dirs, then it
> could be, that a user planed to start a script in some minutes, that
> does need the mounted dir, so it wouldn't be ok, if another user is
> allowed to unmount this dir.

That's a standard Unix tool, and I think it is a posix behaviour. The
settings must be in fstab with the specific "user" option.

I do not use gvs (nor any g*) because of dependdencies and I do not trust it.

As a grpahical tool I use smb4k, but it seems unable to do kerberos
authentication nor automatically mount a mount point at start of
session