Re: Crossgrade to Amd64

On 2013-05-26 20:46 +0200, Andrei POPESCU wrote:

> On Du, 26 mai 13, 11:38:36, David Baron wrote:
>> I followed the instructions on
>> http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser#Are_cross-grades_possible
>>
>> Needed one more :amd64 package which I installed, then installed the dpkg-
>> amd64 successfully.
>
> Could you please update the package with the package?

I suspect this should read "the _page_ with the package" instead, right?

>> So now I have 90+ "broken" packages.
>> If I "fix," it will simply (re-)install dpkg, putting me back on i386.
>>
>> Then, (with no new update), have 20+ broken packages (:amd64) which the "fix"
>> will simply remove. Most of these have been around a while and were never
>> flagged or gave problems (since simply never used).
>>
>> So how do I complete the changeover?
>
> A full cross-grade can only work if all relevant packages have been
> converted to multi-arch.

Well, it's only really necessary for the essential packages and their
dependencies.  IIRC the only package that fails in Wheezy is libmount1¹,
meaning that mount will be temporarily broken during the crossgrade.

> The alternative is to remove the i386 package
> and install the amd64 version instead.

This is really the only thing possible with apt since it does not
support crossgrades at all.  However, it should be possible to do a
crossgrade with dpkg alone, by fetching the amd64 version of all
installed i386 packages (if there is one), putting them into a dedicated
directory and running "dpkg -iR" on it several times (dpkg will likely
spew lots of errors in the process).  In a minimal chroot this worked
quite well for me, but if there are a large number of perl and python
packages installed I wouldn't be so sure that it succeeds eventually.

> Depending on your set of packages
> it may be simpler to just reinstall ;)

Currently I would recommend that.  The procedure outlined above is not
for the faint of the heart, and you better have a backup available in
case it fails.

Cheers,
       Sven

¹ http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=696004