Re: Doing last part of update

On Mi, 15 mai 13, 13:16:04, ken wrote:
> Hey, group,
>
> A cron job on a system I was just handed does this:
>
> /usr/bin/apt-get dist-upgrade -d -y -o APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true

Hopefully there is also an 'apt-get update' before that, otherwise this
is useless. If you are now responsible for this system you might want to
look at apticron, cron-apt, unattended-upgrades or so. These should be
much better documented than some custom cron job.

> So there are some packages downloaded which need to be finished up.
> I've been using the "other" linux distro for a long time and haven't
> used debian in a very long time.  Truth be told, I'm a little shaky
> about doing this, don't want to remarkably mess up.  It's been
> recommended that I use aptitude.  But how would this play out?
> What's the method least likely to encounter difficulty.

You may use your tool of choice, but given that the first part was done
with apt-get I would stick with it (just to reduce variables).

The next step would be simply

    apt-get upgrade

Check the proposed actions and confirm if everything looks good to you.
If some packages are not upgraded you will need to follow-up with

    apt-get dist-upgrade

Do keep in mind that having to resort to dist-upgrade means packages
need to be installed and/or removed. Examine proposed actions carefully
before applying.

Kind regards,
Andrei