Doing last part of update

Hey, group,

A cron job on a system I was just handed does this:

/usr/bin/apt-get dist-upgrade -d -y -o APT::Get::Show-Upgraded=true

So there are some packages downloaded which need to be finished up. I've been using the "other" linux distro for a long time and haven't used debian in a very long time. Truth be told, I'm a little shaky about doing this, don't want to remarkably mess up. It's been recommended that I use aptitude. But how would this play out? What's the method least likely to encounter difficulty.

Thanks much.